Monday, February 1, 2010

baby girl gifts

I will take any excuse to break out my sewing machine and sort through my stash of fabric.  My cousin is about to have a baby girl.  Joann’s was having a sale on flannel.  What a wonderful excuse to be creative!  Knowing that my own little baby loves the tags on toys, I decided to make a soft play mat with fun little ribbons to play with.  I really don’t like to spend a lot of time cutting fabric, so I made the mat 44”x 44”, since the flannel is 45”. For the ribbons, I folded each color a little differently to add textural interest.  I also heat sealed the cut ends with a lighter before I sewed them in, to make sure they don’t unravel.  The prep work took the most time; the sewing went pretty quick. I was finished in about 2 hours and pretty happy with the results.  I’m planning to make another play mat for my sister’s baby this Spring.


I also made a nursing cover – one of the most used baby items I have.  The secret to the nursing cover is a 12” piece of corset boning slipped into the casing on top.  This makes it pop out just enough for you to see your baby while you nurse, but still keeps everything private.  It’s just a rectangle with straps sewn to the front and D-rings for closure.  Super easy – a great project for beginners.  If I can get more corset boning, I will make another nursing cover too.


I love babies…precious gifts from God that are fearfully and wonderfully made.

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute, Angeli! Those little ribbons for baby to play with are such a great idea. It's a good thing I didn't know you were this creative before I was done having babies. ;)

    ReplyDelete